Self Storage FAQs
There are many questions you may have about self-storage. Here are some of the most common.
- Self-storage is essentially an offering to individuals to rent storage space provided by a company, in order to store their personal or business related items either on a weekly or longer term basis.
- Check out our interactive space calculator here. We have hopefully made this task a lot easier by providing an online calculator which enables you to select typical items that households and businesses wish to store and then tells you much space you are likely to need. We are also pleased to offer first-hand advice if required.
- For everyone’s peace of mind we need to know that all customers are covered at all times - that’s why all customers must insure their goods while they are in our self storage units. Big Red’s insurance has been specially designed for self storage and covers a wider range of potential perils than normal household insurance. You can also use your household insurance but it must include cover for items stored in a remote storage unit. With Big Red’s policy you simply decide the value you want to insure and look up the premium on the website. Full details on insurance can be found on our insurance page.
- Yes, we have an extensive range of accessories from padlocks (key and combination types), boxes in a range of sizes, bubble wrap and parcel tape to shelving units that can be used to maximise use of space in your room. These items can be purchased from the front office during our office opening hours. We also sell shelving in various sizes to suit - for example document storage - and can even arrange for heavy duty pallet racking to be installed in a unit on a hire basis.
Our lift platform is 2.45m (8 ft) wide x 1.9m (6ft 3”) deep and has a maximum weight limit of 1 ton.
Our units up to 100 sq ft have 1 metre (3’ 3”)wide doors. Units over 100 sq ft have double doors with a 2 metre opening. The maximum height of any items to be stored is 2.75m (9’) high.
The loading bay can take a box van with maximum height 3.3m (10'9") so any vehicle up to 7m (23') long can off-load or load under cover.
- Big Red's first priority is to safeguard the security of your belongings. Access to the building is tightly controlled via keypad entry using your own secure PIN code and we operate extensive CCTV surveillance. You will be in complete control of access to your unit which is protected by your own padlock and key. Please note that in order to maintain a high standard of store security we require all new storage customers to have their photograph taken by us and to provide proof of identity and address. Your payment for storage at move in must be by credit/debit card or cheque.
- Units can be booked using our online booking system. We suggest you start by working out the amount of space you need using our interactive space calculator. After calculating how much space you need you will be given the option to go directly to the reservations system where you can check live unit availability and pricing information.
- Your Big Red room is available to you 24/7 with access to the main building gained using your unique pin code at any time to suit you. Our reception office hours are currently Mon-Fri 08:30 - 17:00.
Unfortunately, you are not allowed to store the following items at Big Red:
- Toxic, pollutant or contaminated goods
- Firearms, munitions or explosives
- Radioactive materials
- Flammable or hazardous goods
- Living plants or animals
- Food or perishable goods*
- Cash and securities
- Illegal goods
* Unless approved by us in advance
We do not accept any load or single item that weighs more than 1 ton (1000 kgs).
Motorcycles can be accepted by arrangement but must be drained of petrol, oil, & coolant if applicable and have batteries removed and declared as such.
You can stay as long as you want. We offer 50% off for the first 4 weeks subject to a minimum stay of 8 weeks and discounts are available for longer term storage when you need more than 12 months.